AncestryDNA has a ethnicity-by-parent breakout now

I saw from following DNASleuth’s blog that Ancestry has a new ethnicity feature, wherein your received ethnicity is assigned to either Parent 1 or Parent 2. So, naturally, I had to check it out. Ethnicity estimates were also revised!

My dad formerly (as of last week) was listed at 100% Irish. He is no longer. Now he’s 90% Irish, with the remaining 10% being Scottish and Welsh. And, honestly, in the past, AncestryDNA has shown him with Scottish, Welsh, and even English ethnicities. It all depends on the calculation at the time, I guess.

All that said, I believe this estimate is quite in line with the paper genealogy, and the birthplaces of my great-grandparents. I have 4 Irish/Celtic great-grands, 2 Italian great-grands, 1 great-grandparent whose parents were born in and immigrated from southern Denmark, and one great-grandparent whose line in the U.S. extends back to early 1700s and is largely of German and English descent.

If you have taken a DNA test at Ancestry, do go check out the new info!

1950 U.S. Census — Volunteer Project at Familysearch.org

Today I spent about 2 hours validating that the computer-generated indexes already created — and not all 50 states are yet done — were accurate. I worked on Indiana, Oregon, and Arizona. Technology has come such a long way in the past 10 years; I am amazed at how accurate the indexed data appears already.

You can validate names in a given state, or, if the name validation is complete, you can validate family groups. And the cool thing is you can select names, so for the family groups I was validating (in Oregon and Arizona) I specifically searched for COPPLE households. (And recognized some of the names I already have in my COPPLE tree on Ancestry.com)

There is plenty to do for anyone interested, and you can do just a little bit or do a lot — any amount helps get the indexing done faster.